Tuesday, October 30, 2012

On The Lighter Side



What is you sanctuary?  No, not where do you go to church?  What I mean is where do you go or what do you do to relax or to escape from the world?  Well, mine is the bathroom, more specifically the bathtub. Some days I will run a hot bath. I don’t fill the tub more than about an inch to start. I am a sucker for the sound of running water, I have found.  I run the water very slowly once I am in, just to hear the sound of running water.   I turn off all the lights and light some candles. Sometimes it is not very dark, but the sound of the flames flickering is so soothing. I also enjoy watching the flames dance. It reminds me of how beautifully my daughter dances. Sometimes I massage salt scrub on my legs that smells like coconut.

Sound a little self indulgent? Great, now you are getting the point! If it is daylight outside, I can see the trees outside our bathroom window. I always think of what my husband said when we were building the house. He said he had them place the tub, so I could look out the window when I take a bath. Ah, true love!

I usually forget to grab my towel to make a pillow of sorts before I am in the tub and the candles are lit. I have to be very careful not to catch the towel on fire as I lower it from the rack. No, of course I haven’t caught a towel on fire before, but I can just image how hard that would be to explain to my husband...lol.  I have found the need for these bath tub soaks more and more. I think I am addicted to them. Oh, well I can think of worse things to be addicted to, can’t you?? Let me answer that for you, of course you can!

This time is sacred to me. I don’t want the T.V. in the background or any noise. I prefer only the sound of the flames flickering, the water running and my thoughts.   I often use this time to relieve my aching body, not concentrate on the difficulties of living with Interstitial Cystitis (IC) and to pray.  I feel close to God in these quiet moments in the tub.  A closeness that I would not have felt or experienced before IC came along and slowed me down to a snail’s pace.  I am thankful for these moments and I think everyone should have a time to be alone and separate from the world. 

 If you think you are too busy and that you don’t have time for stress relief, I think you should give it a try and see if it helps you. Just set aside a few minutes everyday to reflect, pray or meditate. Your sanctuary may not be the bath tub, it may be taking a walk and feeling close to nature, walking on a treadmill or sitting on a park bench.  You know what gives you stress relief, so do it!

Set this time aside for YOU everyday.  It may make you a better spouse, parent or friend. It may make you a better person. Don’t feel guilty for taking this time to yourself even God rested on the seventh day. We all need a break, we are all human and we need time to unwind and reflect. If you are an IC patient, I think this will definitely help you. Just try this for the next 2 weeks. I think you will see that it will make you a less stressed, more relaxed, healthier person. Who knows you may even live a longer, healthier life. You can thank me later. But seriously, I hope you will consider taking some time to yourself to renew and recharge your life.

Just a fair warning though, this habit may be highly addictive. No animals or children were harmed during testing.

 “By the seventh day God had finished the work he had been doing; so on the seventh day he rested from all his work.” Genesis 2:2

My Sanctuary

My view



No comments:

Post a Comment